Tuesday 25 October 2011

Rhythm & Rhyme #1: A Thousand Years

Dum…dee…dum. 

                I suddenly thought of something. I was humming to myself while surfing the net. Then, an idea came to my mind. I feel like doing reviews of songs I like. 

                Yeah, I think I should do that...since I’m not in the mood to do book reviews…keke. My sister is in charge of book reviews, you guys can go to her awesome blog for that :)

                Okies, I will start my song review section with a current favourite of mine.

A Thousand Years by Christina Perri


Heart beats fast, colours and promises,
How to be brave, how can I love when I’m,
Afraid to fall, but watching you stand alone,
All of my doubt, suddenly goes away somehow,
One step closer.

I have died everyday, waiting for you,
Darling don’t be afraid, I have loved you,
For a thousand years.
I’ll love you, for a thousand more.

Time stands still, beauty in all she is,
I will be brave, I will not let anything take away,
What’s standing in front of me,
Every breath, every hour has come to this,
One step closer.
 
I have died everyday, waiting for you,
Darling don’t be afraid, I have loved you,
For a thousand years.
I’ll love you, for a thousand more.
All along I believed I would find you,
Time has brought your heart to me, I have loved you,
For a thousand years, I’ll love you for a thousand more.

One step closer, one step closer.

I have died everyday, waiting for you,
Darling don’t be afraid, I have loved you,
For a thousand years.
I’ll love you, for a thousand more.
All along I believed I would find you,
Time has brought your heart to me, I have loved you,
For a thousand years, I’ll love you for a thousand more.


My thoughts: I love the music video for this song. Although it looks simple & kinda cheap, I somehow find it to be quite nice. I adore Christina Perri’s soothing voice, it makes me wanna sing along with her. Yep, I sure did…keke. Though my voice is far inferior than hers…huhu. 

                This is a great song to play guitar with. As for the lyrics, there are a lot of repetitions, pretty easy to memorise. This song is about a persona who is at the beginning, reluctant to fall in love. However the persona found the courage to do so when he feels that he had found 'The One'. Thus, the persona reassures his partner that they will go through their lives together…one step at a time.

                I think this song is most appropriate for wedding anniversaries. Don’t you think so? To me, “A Thousand Years” is a beautiful song, with beautiful lyrics, sang by a beautiful voice which represent all the wonderful years that a couple goes through in a relationship.

                For that, I give the music video 4 star out of 5. Why not 5? Well, simply because I wish that towards the end, the music video should at least show a couple walking side by side holding hands or something like that. Sounds cliché, I know. But, I feel that the MV lacks a sense of wholesomeness. It’s supposed to be a love song, yet this MV seems to evoke a solitary aura. Kinda sad somehow…

                And what else? Hmm, oh yes! I’ve just found out that this song is included in The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn’s soundtrack. No wonder there are shots with apple, chessboard & some frayed red sheet swishing away. Ooo…I wonder what are the other songs from that soundtrack? Hmm…well, till then…let’s hum away people!!

1 comments:

primrose said...

Such a nice haunting song!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...